Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Notes on Mall Sanitation Methods

This morning, as I headed to work in my store in the Gran Plaza mall and prior to its opening to the public, I observed a cleaning person standing next to the electric escalator, his grey haired mop horizontally positioned on the hand rail. It took me a minute to realize what he was doing: "cleaning" the black, rubbery handrail that moves along with the electric escalator! As he looked around and watched the comings and goings of the people around him, his probably less-than-sanitary mop was wiping the handrail without any effort on his part whatsoever.

While not a particularly effective way to clean, it is most assuredly another fine example of Mexican ingenuity!

Something to think about next time you are at the mall, going up or down on one of those escalators and reach out to grab the handrail...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeewwwww!!!

Thanx for the warning!!!

William Lawson said...

Que tal!!! Pretty disgusting!

Anonymous said...

Reminder to self: Bring Purell to Mexico...

William Lawson said...

:)

Anonymous said...

I like to go out to Gran Plaza on a Saturday evening just to smell the raw sewage that has been accumulating and apparently over flowing from the heavy traffic of un-constipated weekend shoppers. I find it' especially nice on the second floor around the Marbol furniture store.

I hear there are going to be 3 new malls coming this year. I hope they are smart enough to put in inadequate plumbing as well.

The weekend is the perfect time to fill up at the food court too. I'm going over to see if you've reviewed any of those fine dining stalls.

William Lawson said...

Yes, the smell can be nauseatingly overwhelming! I will tell that CR Critic to do a complete review of all the stalls in the food court, although I think you will find he already reviewed the chinese Win Fa! Thanks for stopping by!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Am I the only person troubled by the way the mall is remodeling the tile? They seem to be simply laying new tile over the exsisting tile. I admit that I'm not a structural engineer but isn't all that extra weight on the second eventually going to overstress the building?

Theresa

http://theresainmerida.blogspot.com/

William Lawson said...

Hola Theresa. Hmm. Never thought about the stress on the building or the extra weight... good point! I guess I am too busy counting the people who stumble on the new floor (where it abuts with the new one) and keeping kids away from the unfinished railing on the second floor (protected by a non-generous band of yellow tape)... like your blog btw!

Theresa in Mèrida said...

Thank you! I'm having a lot of fun with it.
I guess when you grow up in earthquake country you notice stuff like structural overload, while normal people notice the other safety hazards.

Theresa

http://theresainmerida.blogspot.com/